Robert “Rob” Mericle pioneered the development of speculative industrial space in Northeastern Pennsylvania. He has 30 years of experience in commercial real estate services and is a licensed general contractor with an extensive background in commercial real estate development, construction, brokerage, and finance.
In 1985, Robert Mericle founded Mericle Properties and began his career in commercial real estate. In 1987, he formed Mericle Development Corporation, Mericle Construction, Inc., and Landmark Construction Group, Inc., to design, construct, and market institutional-grade industrial, office, and flex buildings throughout Northeastern Pennsylvania.
In 1993, he established Mericle Commercial Real Estate Group, Inc., specializing in commercial/industrial brokerage properties, securing the company’s position as the premier full-service commercial real estate company serving Northeastern Pennsylvania. By 1997, Mericle Commercial Real Estate Services expanded its territory to include the Lehigh Valley area of Eastern Pennsylvania and the Williamsport Area of Central Pennsylvania.
Robert Mericle has grown the company’s development portfolio of sold and leased properties to approximately 18 million square feet. Today, Mericle Commercial Real Estate Services is one of the largest commercial/industrial developers in the state and operates one of the largest and most competitive commercial brokerage firms in the region. More than 13,400 people work in the buildings Mr. Mericle has developed in Northeastern Pennsylvania.
Under Robert Mericle’s leadership, the Mericle team of professionals has provided commercial real estate solutions to dozens of well-known companies including 40 Fortune 1000 firms. These include Amazon.com, American Eagle Outfitters, Neiman Marcus, The Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, CVS Caremark, Michaels, Men’s Wearhouse, Geisinger Health System, Kimberly Clark, FedEx Ground, Cintas, PepsiCo, Merill Lynch, and many others.
He created Mericle’s Green Building Program with a commitment to provide lower operating costs to tenants through the implementation of eco-friendly, energy-saving measures. He has also led efforts to introduce LEED to Northeastern Pennsylvania. LEED stands for “Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design,” and is a national industry measurement tool created by the United States Green Building Council to define the industry’s most environmentally conscious projects. The first three industrial buildings in Northeastern Pennsylvania to receive LEED status were Mericle buildings.
In 2012, Robert Mericle announced the ReadyToGo!™ Program, a major investment in new speculative buildings and fully prepared sites, that is expected to facilitate the creation and retention of thousands of local jobs. Through this program, Mericle Construction is fully preparing more than 90 ReadyToGo!™ Sites and building dozens of speculative commercial buildings on approximately 1,700 acres in 11 business parks in Luzerne and Lackawanna Counties.
Since 1985, Robert Mericle, the Mericle family, and Mericle Commercial Real Estate Services have provided significant financial support to help hundreds of non-profit and community organizations throughout Northeastern Pennsylvania. Since just 2005 alone, the company has donated more than 60,000 man-hours to community service. In addition, Mericle employees and their families have donated thousands of hours of their personal time to many local worthy causes. The company focuses its philanthropic and volunteer efforts on youth programs and activities, educational opportunities, healthcare initiatives, aid to the economically disadvantaged, community park upgrades, and regional economic development programs.
- University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- Wharton School of Finance & Commerce
- Licensed General Contractor in all markets served
HONORS & AWARDS
- Butler Manufacturing Annual “Million Dollar Builder,” “High Performance Builder,” and “#1 Volume Builder of the Year” Award—2006
- Junior Achievement of Northeast Pennsylvania “Young Entrepreneur of the Year”—2000
- Greater Wilkes-Barre Chamber of Commerce “Small Business of the Year”—2003
- Greater Wilkes-Barre YMCA “2005 Leadership Award”
- Building Industry Association of Northeast Pennsylvania
- Industrial and Office Real Estate Brokers Association of the New York Metropolitan Area, Inc. (IOREBA) Pennsylvania
- Economic Development Association (PEDA)
- National Association of Industrial and Office Properties (NAIOP)
- Tri-State, Pennsylvania, & National Board of Realtors
- Urban Land Institute
OTHER MEMBERSHIPS & COMMITTEES
- Northeastern PA Alliance
- Northeastern PA Manufacturers and Employers Association
- Penn’s Northeast
- Wharton Zell/Lurie Real Estate Center
- Greater Wilkes-Barre YMCA
- Various Chambers of Commerce